Wednesday, February 1, 2012

It's Repulsion, I Think

I'm in the sinking boat with you once again. Except this time, it's smaller. There's not much that will go down with us. I'm hurriedly tossing bucketfuls of water back into the sea. But you're just sitting there, telling me to go faster. "Help me!" I cry. But when was the last time you helped me? When was the last time you listened? When was the last time you held my hand and told me everything would work out? I can't recall. And this is no different. You cackle wildly and turn into someone I don't know. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Like the click of a switch. Click. Now your sobbing. Throwing your head over the side of the boat, trying to touch the raging waters. But you're not strong enough. "I'm so sorry!" You wail. "I have them but I've lost you!" I don't even deny it. "Yes, you have. But a long time ago. Think of this as just proving my point. This is why I'm gone." You switch again. Who are you? "Madeleine, Madeleine. I'm fine." You slur. Right. You look it. I toss the bucket back into the water. It's useless. You're sinking fast. "Don't talk to me." I spit. "Fine! You bitch! You're the worst sister ever!" No. I'm afraid you take that prize. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a little girl to attend to. "I'll never speak to you again!" You screech. "Promise?" My tone is unforgiving. I prepare to dive in the water and swim to my larger, better equipped boat. Because I can handle swimming these waters. She can't. Because my boat no longer has the ability to float towards hers to pick her up when she's about to sink again. I dive in the water. Click. "No, don't leave me! Come back!" You wail again. "I'll come back." I say. But I'm not sure if I will. "You promise?" She yells hysterically. "Yeah, I promise." But life is full of empty promises. You've given me plenty. Here's one of my own: I'll always be there for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment