Friday, December 16, 2011

We Never Had A Choice

My deepest secret smells sweet:
of candy and syrup much too strong.
It smells of railroad tracks and red dirt,
of door polish and cracked mirrors.
My secret smells like faded blue leather,
of disappoinment at a scarce meal.
I smell asphalt, rubber balls, and library books,
street lamps and a spring chill.
It smells like an unfamiliar jacket,
of plants in a dark courtyard, and coffee.
There's new pages of books, popcorn, and a water fountain.
French fries and fear, fair grounds, and damp grass.
There's spit and navy blue nail polish,
and old converse shoes and hands much too large.
I smell...betrayal.
Just a hint, veiled behind too many expectations.
I smell makeup and a scrap of paper unfolded and refolded over and over.
There's an old cellphone and so much denial.
It smells like a beach house at 2 A.M., of quiet giggles in the middle of the night.
In simplest terms, my secret smells of innocence, pain, and enduring hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment